I love playing games, whether it is a game of Candy Land with my kids, or a hand of Euker or Wizard so I love bringing games into my classroom.
It is boring to play the same games again and again so I am constantly trying to think of new ones. How can I use musical chairs in my Algebra 1 room?
- Place the chairs in the center of your room.
- Turn on music (I used Youtube). We played this at Christmas and Halloween. At Halloween I played the Monster Mash and Spooky Skeletons. This was a student request.
- Stop the music and have students who are sitting in a chair solve a problem on the board.
- If students solved a math problem incorrectly, they were taken out of the game with the students who didn’t have a chair.
What do you do with students once they are out?
- I split them into two teams to begin the game.
- Once out they went to the right side or left side of the room.
- They raced against each other and the winning team chose someone from the other side to be out of the game.
Note: I took out two chairs at a time because I have large classes (31 students). Otherwise, we may not have finished a game.
Want more ideas like this? Click the image below to access our free active math resource library with activity that can be used for any math content/level.